What made you buy your 'old Vauxhall'?
I'm a little curious really, having walked round several classic car shows over the last few years and seen the broad array of cars on show.

My question is why do you own and why did you choose the old Vauxhall(s) or other cars that you keep for sunny days?

For me it was quite by chance, seeing one in completely unrestored and quite tatty condition I saw the project appeal. I suppose I was a little pre-disposed to it being a Vauxhall but ultimately having rebuilt a couple of Mk2 Astras and other similar aged cars I fancied having something older.

Over to you...

Ian.
Thanks given by:
I was brought home from the maternity hospital in my Grandfathers 1950 Velox,I always loved that car & I still have it. I also have his 20/60. I've found that Vauxhalls (proper ones with flutes on the bonnet) are superior to equivalent offerings from other manufacturers, as part of my job I get to work on & drive a variety of vintage & classic cars so I compare them to the Vauxhall. As an example I recently had an Austin 16/6 1936 in for repairs, terrible rough ride & so slow & gutless you almost have to change down for shadows on the road! This car was in good order but just isn't a patch on a DX 14, I could go on & on with others.
It seems to me a bit of a shame that the classic motoring press largely ignore Vauxhall and promote anything made by BMC or Leyland & others. Anyway I have my Vauxhalls & am proud to own them beause they are the best. Neale.
Thanks given by:
In about 1951 my father bought a '34 'A' type and that is probably where 'the rot set in'! This was replaced in '54 with a DX touring saloon. This was the year I started my apprenticeship at the Bristol Aeroplane Co. The 'A' type was never scrapped but sat mouldering away on some waste ground near our home and in 1957 I turned it into what was known in those days as a special. It served me well for a couple of years going to and fro between Bristol and south Devon at weekends. In 1960 I bought a 'DY' for £25 and this did the same journey for a further 2 years until it was superseded with a Morris 1000... modern motoring at last!
In 1972 I bought a '35 DY for restoration and the merry go round started all over again. I think 6 'Ds' later I'm satisfied with what I've got! I'll post some photos one day. Vauxhall obsessed, moi?!
Thanks given by:
Had an interest in vintage cars 25 years ago but couldn't afford to indulge for all the usual reasons. Now the time is right I purchased my first vintage Austin 12/4 saloon, lovely car but very slow. Sold and purchased an Morris 'Bullnose' tourer, lovely car but cramped footwell, sold. Followed by an Bayliss Thomas open tourer, lovely car I have owned for 3+ years and just sold. An Austin 'Swallow' saloon kept my Bayliss company but just to small and impractical, very sorry to see it go but it has financed purchase of my current vintage stead. Have learnt an few valuable vintage lessons and knew the Vauxhall is an high quality car with reasonable power. Had an few problems to start with but nothing to disastrous,, and to be expected on an 85 year old car in fairness. I simply like the quality and style in an nutshell. On the downside I am finding ownership an little isolated with so few examples apparently around, one of the reasons I am so pleased to see this new website created.
Thanks given by:
As regards to my Vauxhall I think at some stage 7 years ago I had a mental breakdown, I'm ok now Ha ha[/size]
Thanks given by:
I guess my love of vauxhalls came from my dad. The first family car I can remember was a J model. That was upgraded to an L in the early 60's and was the family transport for us for many years. Been round the clock on several occasions. Dad still has that car which has been rebuilt but does not get a lot of use any more. In the 40's and 50's dad had a number of H convertibles (we are in Australia) so it was only natural that my first Vauxhall was a H convertible. Purchased in the late 70's and still have it.
Thanks given by:
How did i come to own my velox well my love of early iron goes back to when i was 16 driving around with only a provisonal licence in a 1955 morris minor i can still remember the sound the fuel pump made as you swiched on the ignition , did a lot of courting with the now Mrs Youngs or (she who must be obeyed)as i like to call her, of course this was not a very cool car for a by now 18 year old so the boy racer ford capri came along which some time later was sold to help fund our first home , then kids come along , bigger house working seven days aweek to keep it all together well you get the picture, then all of a sudden my eldest daughter dose a really wonderful thing she buys a house of her own with praise the lord a garage well of course this is of no use to a girl who spends most of her life in Blue Water and if dads got to fit the kitchen then dads got to have the garage.With this all in play all i now needed was a suitable classic, i had two guide lines it must be between 1935 to 1950 minus the war years, and it had to be blue, after looking around and a couple of test drives i was starting to think that my budget would not render a fit specimen , untill a chance look in classic car mart while passing time in W H Smithes"ok you can't tell me i'm the only person who has a free read" beared fruit and it was quit local , a few days later the car was mine love at first sight. so there you go i bought my 'old Vauxhall because one of my kids left the nest, and the wife insisted it had to be blue, QED.
Thanks given by:
I love the stories, all I can really say is I'm glad (I think) that I didn't wait for one of my children to leave home. I'd be still waiting for another (even older and greyer) 16 years minimum!

Operation House Move is going very slowly at the moment and it seems we have had precisely zero interest in ours, so I still don't have my dream garage at home in which to tinker...

Ian.
Thanks given by: