Oil Filter Change - Big Six BY
Just getting in to the general maintenance of my 1936 BX Wingham Cabriolet and wanted to replace the oil and filter.
Has anyone any experience on how to replace the Oil Filter on a Big Six or similar?
I have a Light Six instruction manual, where the illustrations look similar, but that just states that it should be changed every 8,000-10,000 miles with no indication of how the filter assembly should be dismantled.
I presume I will need to take the whole assembly off the block then strip it down, but thought I might check for advice before commencing.
Regards
Allan
Thanks given by:
Hi Allan,
The answer depends on what filter is installed.
The original sealed unit filters that have long been sold out / unavailable here in NZ, were a cylindrical unit, unserviceable, that was bolted onto the inlet manifold by a curved band. Is that what you are looking at? If so you just disconnect the two oil pipes from the top of the filter and fit a replacement, if you can find one.
Our cars here now either have a different filter unit altogether, and that might be of any type, or alternatively someone might have carefully modified an original filter barrel to take a disguised spin on modern filter inside. If that is the case the base of your present filter unit might be free to be disconnected and a new spin on filter installed.
Hope that helps, Mike
Thanks given by:
(03/09/2019, 03:57 PM)Ajalon Wrote: Just getting in to the general maintenance of my 1936 BX Wingham Cabriolet and wanted to replace the oil and filter.
Has anyone any experience on how to replace the Oil Filter on a Big Six or similar?
I have a Light Six instruction manual, where the illustrations look similar, but that just states that it should be changed every 8,000-10,000 miles with no indication of how the filter assembly should be dismantled.
I presume I will need to take the whole assembly off the block then strip it down, but thought I might check for advice before commencing.
Regards
Allan

I think the 'G' filter is similar to Dx filter except it is twice as long.
As Mike said virtually impossible to find. However  'Completeautomobilist' does supply a modern alternative which is very similar to the Dx filter and fits the same with a clamp
This alternative uses modern spin on filters which are readily available
On-On
CB
Thanks given by:
(04/09/2019, 09:51 AM)cbuk2011 Wrote:
(03/09/2019, 03:57 PM)Ajalon Wrote: Just getting in to the general maintenance of my 1936 BX Wingham Cabriolet and wanted to replace the oil and filter.
Regards
Allan

As Mike said virtually impossible to find. However  'Completeautomobilist' does supply a modern alternative which is very similar to the Dx filter and fits the same with a clamp
On-On
CB

Thank you both for your comments.  This is the filter in question and the diagram from the instruction manual.
[Image: Filter.jpg] [Image: LightSixEngine.jpg] 

I checked with Complete Automobilist and they sent me the dimensions of their replacement and, although slightly shorter, it would appear if fits in the bracket exactly.
So thank you again.

Allan
Thanks given by:
(06/09/2019, 03:00 PM)Ajalon Wrote:
(04/09/2019, 09:51 AM)cbuk2011 Wrote:
Regards
Allan

On-On
CB

Thank you both for your comments.  This is the filter in question and the diagram from the instruction manual.
[Image: Filter.jpg] [Image: LightSixEngine.jpg] 

I checked with Complete Automobilist and they sent me the dimensions of their replacement and, although slightly shorter, it would appear if fits in the bracket exactly.
So thank you again.

Allan
The original filter will have been designed for an engine in continual daily use which is not normally the case nowadays, hence the shorter filter should be just fine. I have fitted a number to Cadets without any problems. And easy to replace the filter internals - screw on can.
Regards
CB
Thanks given by:
Maybe its the angle the picture is taken at, but the filter you picture looks possibly fatter on the top half. I'm just wondering if that filter, which doesn't look old, might already have a spin on modern filter inside. I'd remove it gently, just in case.
I totally agree with you Colin that the modern shorter filters are perfectly satisfactory and a long barrel is not needed.
Mike
Thanks given by:
I have new ZR1 filters in stock.

The filter in the manual illustration is the ZR1.
The filter in the photograph is a ZS1. Used mainly on commercial vehicles.
Regards.
Chas.

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. A optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
Thanks given by: