A new Vauxhall Owner
Hi All from South Australia,

I am new to owning an old Vauxhall having just purchased a 1937 Vauxhall 25 GY (Australian Holden Motors build).  I have been following with great interest all the threads on this forum and being a novice to the world of older cars, am sure I am going to be asking lots of questions as I start to bring my wonderful car back to life.

The car came the original Operational and Care manual.  I am starting to fully service.

One question for the forum is about the nipples on the Steering Connection, Clutch and Brake Shaft, and the Propellor Shaft.  In the manual it refers to using an oil gun and putting oil in all the nipples.  Can anyone advise what type/grade of oil I should use?.  Having only ever used grease on nipples before, I am not sure if I should use grease or use thicker oil with a high SAE?  Can anyone offer advise?

Many thanks in advance - I am sure I will follow up with more and more questions as I move to the something else :-)

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks given by:
(23/07/2019, 09:53 AM)Michael Sawyer Wrote: Hi All from South Australia,

I am new to owning an old Vauxhall having just purchased a 1937 Vauxhall 25 GY (Australian Holden Motors build).  I have been following with great interest all the threads on this forum and being a novice to the world of older cars, am sure I am going to be asking lots of questions as I start to bring my wonderful car back to life.

The car came the original Operational and Care manual.  I am starting to fully service.

One question for the forum is about the nipples on the Steering Connection, Clutch and Brake Shaft, and the Propellor Shaft.  In the manual it refers to using an oil gun and putting oil in all the nipples.  Can anyone advise what type/grade of oil I should use?.  Having only ever used grease on nipples before, I am not sure if I should use grease or use thicker oil with a high SAE?  Can anyone offer advise?

Many thanks in advance - I am sure I will follow up with more and more questions as I move to the something else :-)

Cheers,

Michael
Was this the G for sale by 'Rainford' ?
Looks in excellent condition
Thanks given by:
(24/07/2019, 09:14 AM)cbuk2011 Wrote: Was this the G for sale by 'Rainford' ?

Yes - that's the one.  Is in pretty good condition - electrics need a total overall which I am working on, and hasn't been serviced properly in many years, so just trying to give her a little bit of tender loving care... she drives very well and is a great car
Thanks given by:
(24/07/2019, 09:33 AM)Michael Sawyer Wrote:
(24/07/2019, 09:14 AM)cbuk2011 Wrote: Was this the G for sale by 'Rainford' ?

Yes - that's the one.  Is in pretty good condition - electrics need a total overall which I am working on, and hasn't been serviced properly in many years, so just trying to give her a little bit of tender loving care... she drives very well and is a great car

Hi Mike,
Lovely to see another Aussie GY. Mine is pictured below.
On the drivers manual, I've never seen one for this car but on rebuilding her I found nothing that would suggest the need for an oil rather than a grease in the nipples. I use a standard grease and I would be re-greasing those nipples every 1,000 miles roughly. She really performs well, better than my other Vauxhalls, and she is an eye catcher, having won the major NZ car prizes.
On the electrics I purchased a new wiring loom from an Aussie Victorian vintage wiring loom company, contact@vinwire.com.au, and it is perfect.
Mike

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
(26/07/2019, 08:10 PM)Mike SwantonHi Mike, Wrote: Lovely to see another Aussie GY. Mine is pictured below.
On the drivers manual, I've never seen one for this car but on rebuilding her I found nothing that would suggest the need for an oil rather than a grease in the nipples. I use a standard grease and I would be re-greasing those nipples every 1,000 miles roughly. She really performs well, better than my other Vauxhalls, and she is an eye catcher, having won the major NZ car prizes.
On the electrics I purchased a new wiring loom from an Aussie Victorian vintage wiring loom company, contact@vinwire.com.au, and it is perfect.
Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info re grease/oil.  From looking at it, grease is what has been used in the past.  Will give them a good clean and continue with grease.
When I was thinking of buying this car, I did a bit of research.  I came across an article about your car, and it is what convinced me to buy mine.  Yours looks amazing!  One day I hope to get mine up to that standard, but am enjoying driving her at the moment and will do bits up as I can.  I contacted Vinwire last week and they are going to make me a loom, but thanks for the advice - I am sure I will be in touch in the future when I can't work something out.  
One thing I hope to do this week is to scan the old drivers manual as the original is getting worn.  Once I have done it, I will email you a copy if you would like.
Regards,
Michael.
Thanks given by:
(26/07/2019, 09:48 PM)Michael Sawyer Wrote:
(26/07/2019, 08:10 PM)Mike SwantonHi Mike, Wrote: Lovely to see another Aussie GY. Mine is pictured below.
Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info re grease/oil.  From looking at it, grease is what has been used in the past.  Will give them a good clean and continue with grease.
When I was thinking of buying this car, I did a bit of research.  I came across an article about your car, and it is what convinced me to buy mine.  Yours looks amazing!  One day I hope to get mine up to that standard, but am enjoying driving her at the moment and will do bits up as I can.  I contacted Vinwire last week and they are going to make me a loom, but thanks for the advice - I am sure I will be in touch in the future when I can't work something out.  
One thing I hope to do this week is to scan the old drivers manual as the original is getting worn.  Once I have done it, I will email you a copy if you would like.
Regards,
Michael.

Thanks Mike.
If I can be of help with your restoration, I'd be happy to. Your car looks good in her cobalt blue.
If you do have a scanned copy of the Aussie GY manual that can be emailed I'd be thrilled to see a copy. The manuals and parts books that I have are all for the UK / NZ model which was a wooden bodied car, unlike our Australian GYs and their all steel turret top body. 
I have also restored an NZ GY Vauxhall 25 (1937) which is beautiful, and am currently restoring a UK GY Vauxhall 25 (1938 with quite a few changes to the 37 model). That will be cobalt blue as well. That will then leave me with enough parts to build a black coloured 37 Ute out of another UK GY. It will be a Ute because the rear end of the car I have is totally rotten, including the rear chassis components and body. At least I can put some of my spares to work on a farm GY Ute which will be a bit of a novelty.
Regards,  Mike
Thanks given by: