Hello from a new Member
Hello. My name is Allan, I’m retired and I have just bought a 1936 Wingham Cabriolet. I live in County Durham and I am busy already giving it a little TLC. I am currently working up to fixing the horn and trafficator switch in the centre of the steering wheel. I have to admit I am new to classic cars and restoration so any advice would be gratefully received.
In the absence of a manual, I have searched the internet, but cannot find anything related to this or a similar Vauxhall model, but did find an article on the MG Magnette which appears to have a similar set up (http://magnette.org/tech-tips/maintenanc...ese-puzzle). Has anyone attempted this work? I’m a bit wary about undoing nuts and bolt until I’m confident of the likely outcome.
Many thanks
Allan
Thanks given by:
Welcome!
You don't state which model you have - B or D? It's unusual to have the indicator switch on the wheel centre, normally it's on a stalk to the left of the wheel. A photo might help.
Thanks given by:
Hi Allan,
One source of information on our old Vauxhalls is the web site vauxpedia.com although it isn't too good on technical specifications.
If you hunt on the major internet sales sites you should be able to find a service manual for your model.
Regards, Mike
Thanks given by:
(29/06/2019, 08:32 AM)Chris Knapman Wrote: Welcome!
You don't state which model you have - B or D? It's unusual to have the indicator switch on the wheel centre, normally it's on a stalk to the left of the wheel. A photo might help.

Sorry, should have read your profile re your car!
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the information on manuals and the web link, apologies I should have put a bit more details in the original post. The car is a registered as a Big 6, and the indicator switch is quite loose in the centre of the steering wheel (see image). It appears that the indicator and horn cables pass down the steering column, exiting at the base of the column. The switch itself is extremely loose and there also appears to be a short as the horn sounds occasionally without operating the button.

Allan

[Image: IMG_5734.JPG] [Image: IMG_5731.JPG] [Image: IMG_5732.JPG]  [Image: IMG_5733.JPG]
Thanks given by:
(30/06/2019, 03:34 PM)Ajalon Wrote: Thanks for the information on manuals and the web link, apologies I should have put a bit more details in the original post. The car is a registered as a Big 6, and the indicator switch is quite loose in the centre of the steering wheel (see image). It appears that the indicator and horn cables pass down the steering column, exiting at the base of the column. The switch itself is extremely loose and there also appears to be a short as the horn sounds occasionally without operating the button.

Allan

[Image: IMG_5734.JPG] [Image: IMG_5731.JPG] [Image: IMG_5732.JPG]  [Image: IMG_5733.JPG]

HI
Excellente …
Thanks given by:
(30/06/2019, 03:34 PM)Ajalon Wrote: Thanks for the information on manuals and the web link, apologies I should have put a bit more details in the original post. The car is a registered as a Big 6, and the indicator switch is quite loose in the centre of the steering wheel (see image). It appears that the indicator and horn cables pass down the steering column, exiting at the base of the column. The switch itself is extremely loose and there also appears to be a short as the horn sounds occasionally without operating the button.

Allan

Hi Allan,
I speak with a little knowledge of the model after your B Vauxhall. The next model, the Vauxhall 25 GY, has a very similar looking horn arrangement and the complexity of the wiring that runs up inside the steering column is where I would look for the problem. This could be at the top as you suggest, or at the bottom end of the column. It might be that the insulation has been worn and is compromised when you move the steering wheel.
There is a bolt system internal to the steering column that might have been loosened by the wear which would explain the looseness you describe.
It is certainly difficult to get at the steering column.
I think your car looks fantastic. 
Mike
Thanks given by:
(28/06/2019, 03:18 PM)Ajalon Wrote: Hello. My name is Allan, I’m retired and I have just bought a 1936 Wingham Cabriolet. I live in County Durham and I am busy already giving it a little TLC. I am currently working up to fixing the horn and trafficator switch in the centre of the steering wheel. I have to admit I am new to classic cars and restoration so any advice would be gratefully received.
In the absence of a manual, I have searched the internet, but cannot find anything related to this or a similar Vauxhall model, but did find an article on the MG Magnette which appears to have a similar set up (http://magnette.org/tech-tips/maintenanc...ese-puzzle). Has anyone attempted this work? I’m a bit wary about undoing nuts and bolt until I’m confident of the likely outcome.
Many thanks
Allan
Allan,

The horn/indicator assembly can be removed without any major work.
It is held stationary by way of a short tube affixed to the horn assembly, (this tube has the cables through it all the way to the opening at the steering box gland, then to the harness)
The short tube is keyed and fits onto the lower main tube keyway (inside the column). The long (lower) tube is held in a stationary position by the gland on the bottom of box, to the steering box glad.
First slacken the grub screws on the wheel hub (usually two but could be three) holding the indicator plate.
Disconnect wiring out of gland for harness.
Clean cable!
Make sure you have free movement of cable in tube by pushing cable up into tube as much as you can,
This will give the cable a start as you pull the horn assembly out of the steering wheel.
Make sure you do not have any fittings on the cable ends (bear cables only and make note of wiring diagram) or you will end up getting cable stuck in tube.
A good thing to do is to fix a wire to the cable ends so you have a means of pulling the cable down if it gets stuck for whatever reason.
Pull horn assembly out of steering wheel together with cable, if it does not move, you need to slacken off grub screws even more or, if it is stuck fast remove gland nut.
With the gland nut off, tube (upper and lower) will come up, if so you will see the keyed joint of the tube, you can then separate them and remove the horn and long cable complete.

Bit of a rushed explanation but don't think I have missed anything.
Regards.
Chas.

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. A optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
Thanks given by: Ajalon
Thank you Chas, for a very clear explanation.
My only concern now is that I don't recall seeing any grub screw on the steering wheel.
I'll have a fresh look and try to identify where they are or were,i'll let you know how I get on.
Thanks again.
Allan
Thanks given by: