Piston Broke
An update Vic.
I have now found a spare hepolite piston head (that is the 4 ring design that I think you have, rather than the conventional 3 ring Vauxhall design) for a DX that is +30 thou oversize. If you would like it let me know soonest.
If you are going to go to the added expense of a rebore it won't be of use to you.
Regards, Mike
Thanks given by:
(01/07/2019, 01:03 AM)Mike Swanton Wrote: An update Vic.
I have now found a spare hepolite piston head (that is the 4 ring design that I think you have, rather than the conventional 3 ring Vauxhall design) for a DX that is +30 thou oversize. If you would like it let me know soonest.
If you are going to go to the added expense of a rebore it won't be of use to you.
Regards,  Mike

Picture of +30 thou DX Hepolite piston, with ring set and clips.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Chaps,
Sorry for the delay in responding, the thread moved, and until just now I did not know that it had happened, took me a while to find this again.  Confused

So I'll check with Roland on the ability for him to be able to re-bore, to answer some of the questions.
1. no the engine is not out of the car
2. I'll see if Roland can do that in situ  (I suspect not, but need to check).  I think he wanted to do this without pulling the engine
3. Chas, I'll call you later today if that's OK
4 Mike, once we make a decision on to re-bore or not, I'll let you know if we could use the piston you have.

Vic
Thanks given by:
Chaps,
It looks like we will be going for the .60 thou new set that Chas is looking at, as I have also found a guy who will do the re-bore in situ for me and he will travel down from Stockport to do so. This seems to be the best solution so I'll update this thread once we have both our duck's in a row and what the results are.

Chas:
If you have them could you also see if you have a Head Gasket, Sump Gasket.
from our earlier conversation, I'll also see if I can convert / add an oil pressure gauge, to the oil warning lamp. once we have the engine back and running.

Mike: Many thanks once more on providing input and assistance on helping get this resolved.

Vic
Thanks given by:
Chaps,
last bit of the current Jigsaw!!
I'm trying to get hold of a sump gasket, and since we have the sump removed, I have no idea on what sort of gasket to either make or buy, clearly there is no being able to buy this easily.

So my question is what materials should I be looking for to be able to make this especially the bits that sit in the curves at both ends?

Thanks again.

Vic
Thanks given by:
I believe you will have to make your own gaskets, I think the crank ends are cork, a good supplier of gasket material etc   http://www.jmgaskets-seals.co.uk/category.asp?c=234

Les
Thanks given by:
Les is correct.

Use 3NCL 3mm bonded cork from J&M Gaskets.
Easy to cut and as you say, make sure you have the "bits" that sit in the cap grooves, this enables the groove seal to make the corner joint secure.
The groove seal can be made out of layers of the same cork stuck together with silicon (not super glued).
You should still have enough for side cover and rocker cover.
Regards.
Chas.

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. A optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
Thanks given by:
Thank you all once again...

I'm on the chase for the materials from J&M Gaskets. 

Vic
Thanks given by: