Piston Broke
Chaps Hi,
Does anyone have a single Piston available for my DX 14/6, the description I have is a Hepolite 8243.  Roland has the engine in bits at the moment,  I really don't want to be spending the thick end of £500.00 on a set of six, unless I have no choice, 

can anyone help me with this.

Thanks in advance

Vic
Thanks given by:
(26/06/2019, 09:38 AM)USU 266 Wrote: Chaps Hi,
Does anyone have a single Piston available for my DX 14/6, the description I have is a Hepolite 8243.  Roland has the engine in bits at the moment,  I really don't want to be spending the thick end of £500.00 on a set of six, unless I have no choice, 

Thanks in advance

Vic

Hi Vic,
I expect I do but the odd ones I have may be oversize or otherwise and I won't know what you need neither will I be able to tell the difference between the ones I have.
If you run out of local options email me on mikeswanton@hotmail.com and we'll try to find what you need.
Mike
Thanks given by:
(26/06/2019, 08:38 PM)Mike Swanton Wrote:

Thanks in advance

Vic

Hi Vic,
I expect I do but the odd ones I have may be oversize or otherwise and I won't know what you need neither will I be able to tell the difference between the ones I have.
If you run out of local options email me on mikeswanton@hotmail.com and we'll try to find what you need.
Mike
Mike thanks for the response, I am reliably informed that I need a 30 thou oversize piston.  also thanks for the PM, I've done as you suggested.

Vic
Thanks given by:
[attachment=1612 Wrote:USU 266 pid='5952' dateline='1561630625']

Thanks in advance

Vic

Hi Vic,
Mike
Mike thanks for the response, I am reliably informed that I need a 30 thou oversize piston.  also thanks for the PM, I've done as you suggested.

Vic

Hi Vic,
I have 6 new DX pistons stamped FRONT on the top plus 3 pistons from a DX engine stamped 76 on the top. One of the used pistons is pictured. As I can't interpret the stampings I'll have to get a micrometer to establish if it is standard, plus 30 thou, or plus 60 thou, unless you can tell from the stampings yourself.
Mike

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
(28/06/2019, 03:25 AM)Mike Swanton Wrote:
(27/06/2019, 10:17 AM)USU 266 Wrote:

Thanks in advance

Vic

Hi Vic,
Mike

Vic

Hi Vic,
I have 6 new DX pistons stamped FRONT on the top plus 3 pistons from a DX engine stamped 76 on the top. One of the used pistons is pictured. As I can't interpret the stampings I'll have to get a micrometer to establish if it is standard, plus 30 thou, or plus 60 thou, unless you can tell from the stampings yourself.
Mike
Hi Mike,
I'll pass this on to Roland, to see if he has a way of identifying the sizes.  Even in the engineering manual I have for the DX, it does not list any info on the pistons, so hopefully Roland can help.  If they fit, would you PM me with costs, I've just noticed your over in NZ, so shipping might be a problem or did you move??

Vic
Thanks given by:
(28/06/2019, 01:15 PM)USU 266 Wrote:
(28/06/2019, 03:25 AM)Mike Swanton Wrote:
(27/06/2019, 10:17 AM)USU 266 Wrote:

Thanks in advance

Vic

Hi Vic,
Mike

Vic

Hi Vic,
Mike
Hi Mike,
I'll pass this on to Roland, to see if he has a way of identifying the sizes.  Even in the engineering manual I have for the DX, it does not list any info on the pistons, so hopefully Roland can help.  If they fit, would you PM me with costs, I've just noticed your over in NZ, so shipping might be a problem or did you move??

Vic
I've attached a couple of pictures to help identify this, see attached,  these are marked as Tols 030, if the images are not too clear.

Many thanks  

Thanks given by:
Vic,
The top ring of your required piston would have to have a un-chromed "ridge dodger" ring fitted.
Chromed top rings are for new or re-bored engines.
Number 8243 applies to regular or oil master piston/rings. Plus oversize letters on top.

Std. size of piston for DX engine (DX 520001 - on) 34-39, 1781cc should be 2.4213" (61.50mm) so you can calculate oversize from that dimension.

You need to measure your piston and bore correctly to make sure of size.

Will check stock to see what's available.
Regards.
Chas.

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. A optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
Thanks given by: BUGAS03
(29/06/2019, 10:29 AM)Chas Wrote: Vic,
The top ring of your required piston would have to have a un-chromed "ridge dodger" ring fitted.
Chromed top rings are for new or re-bored engines.
Number 8243 applies to regular or oil master piston/rings. Plus oversize letters on top.

Std. size of piston for DX engine (DX 520001 - on) 34-39, 1781cc should be 2.4213" (61.50mm) so you can calculate oversize from that dimension.

You need to measure your piston and bore correctly to make sure of size.

Will check stock to see what's available.

As Ever Chas you are a Star
Thanks very much for your assistance here, (Mike's been great as well).

So if I understand this properly:
1. how do I tell if this has a chrome ring, if you'll pardon the pun they all look the same to me !!
2. how exactly should I measure the diameter, my digital tells me it is 61.5mm, but I don't think I have the accuracy on this to get to the additional 0.30 thou
3. The engine was I assume re-bored when they had to stitch the block some years ago (2009)

I take that the marking's don't provide enough info?

Please let me know if you have one, or if you need any other info, I can always get Roland on the phone if needs be.

Many thanks 

Vic
Thanks given by:
Hi Vic
I've always been in NZ. I have dropped over to England on several occasions (with spare parts) so that is why you thought I was local.
Right, I've sorted out the pistons that I have plus a load more with a mate. The used pistons that I have are strictly of a standard size, 2.422 inches (I am sceptical that my measurement to anything more precise would be reliable) so the number 76 stamped on the top doesn't mean anything to me. They are original pistons of the Vauxhall design, as shown in my earlier photo. I am assuming they wouldn't suit you as they are too small. They have their three rings in place. I'm afraid I know nothing about possible ridge dodger top oil rings as referred to by Chas, but I know that unchromed rings are available.
The new pistons I have are not yet machined and can be machined down to anything under +90 thou. They are hepolite pistons with a fourth oil ring lower down the head. The "Front" designation stamped on the head lines up with the slit in the piston and indicates how they should be fitted. I will keep them for my next DX engine rebuild.
My mate has just restored a DX engine that previously had pistons +30 thou and he is going to look out a good example. Do you just want a single piston head?
Regards, Mike
Thanks given by:
Vic,
Ref. post #8.

Chromed rings have a shine as in chrome on the outer land, un-chromed are a dull steel (dark grey) colour.

To measure; best position on piston is an unworn area (which you might have problems with on pictured piston) right angles to piston pin line.
Do not measure in line with pin as some pistons are oval ground.
Measuring at ring area can give you a false reading due to wear or distortion.
If your piston is 30 thou plus it should measure 2.451" (62.25mm).
Best thing to do is drop another piston/rod from a good bore.

Do not trust markings on piston. Your piston has 030 marked on it by hand engraver, not manufacturer.

Looking at the picture of your piston warrants the question - What is the condition of the bore which the piston came out of??
You have a badly scored piston with signs of broken ring fragments (or something) which have found their way in between piston and bore.
Is the bore badly scored? Looks like it could be.
Can you post picture of bore?

The big question: What caused the damage??? 
Were the pistons fitted correctly with the split of the skirt at the bore side opposite the cam side?
The cylinder number stamp on the rod big end should be in alignment with the split skirt of the piston.
Were or are the numbers on the same side of the crank? Check that skirts are all on same side (opposite cam shaft side).

You say that Roland has the engine in pieces, So is the engine out of car?
If it is, it's worth considering a re-bore judging by the broken piston condition.
A set of + 0.060" pistons would cost you about £120.00.

Mob # 07549 604 240
Regards.
Chas.

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. A optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
Thanks given by: