1934 Vauxhall ASX Roadster - Ripault Bonnet Latches
Hi All

I have recently purchased a 1934 Vauxhall ASX Roadster and I am fixing a few minor items before getting the car back on the road. The car is complete with the original Ripault bonnet latches but for the life of me I cannot get them to work. I appear to have all the parts. I can assemble the latches and fit them to the car but I seem to either have one of two situations:
  1. I turn the outside handle which merely unscrews the hockey stick shaped latch, or
  2. The outer handle is jammed and cannot be turned in any way.
Here are a few photos.
[Image: Img_7143.jpg]

[Image: Img_7142.jpg]

[Image: Img_7141.jpg]

[Image: Img_7140.jpg]

[Image: Img_7136.jpg]

I'm hoping there is someone out there who can offer some insite into getting the latches to fit and work correctly.

Any advice is received with thanks.

Dino.
Thanks given by:
(15/06/2019, 08:11 AM)Dino-ASX Wrote: Hi All

I have recently purchased a 1934 Vauxhall ASX Roadster and I am fixing a few minor items before getting the car back on the road. The car is complete with the original Ripault bonnet latches but for the life of me I cannot get them to work. I appear to have all the parts. I can assemble the latches and fit them to the car but I seem to either have one of two situations:
  1. I turn the outside handle which merely unscrews the hockey stick shaped latch, or
  2. The outer handle is jammed and cannot be turned in any way.
Here are a few photos.

Hi Dino
 Well for starters this is not an ASX it is a Vauxhall Dx of around 1935 tho the bonnet catches are from an ASX or Cadet series of cars. I will send you pictures of how they worked.
The Dx however had a different method of locking the bonnet. Looking again it would appear you have a Model A bonnet on a Dx car ? Somebody has had great fun in producing this hybrid.
Regards
Colin Bolton
ps - I assume the car has independent front suspension - Dx series
[Image: Img_7143.jpg]

[Image: Img_7142.jpg]

[Image: Img_7141.jpg]

[Image: Img_7140.jpg]

[Image: Img_7136.jpg]

I'm hoping there is someone out there who can offer some insite into getting the latches to fit and work correctly.

Any advice is received with thanks.

Dino.
Thanks given by:
A DX with sidemounted spare? Only on Airline and Stratford Sports. Also the rad shell is not raked plus the wings are A - note the fixing bolt heads.
Thanks given by:
(15/06/2019, 09:49 AM)Chris Knapman Wrote: A DX with sidemounted spare? Only on Airline and Stratford Sports. Also the rad shell is not raked plus the wings are A - note the fixing bolt heads.

Will be interesting to find if it has independent or leaf spring front suspension. If its leaf spring I will go with it being a Model A
Thanks given by:
I hadn't looked at Dino's other post when I posted no 2 above so now having seen the front view of the car it's got to be an 'A'.
Thanks given by:
(16/06/2019, 01:26 PM)Chris Knapman Wrote: I hadn't looked at Dino's other post when I posted no 2 above so now having seen the front view of the car it's got to be an 'A'.

Take it back, yes I agree it is probably an 'A' with Ausie tweeks
Thanks given by:
Hi All, thank you for the comments. Yes, independent front suspension, not leaf springs. So, when we say is is an "A" model, does that mean "ASX" is a reasonable descriptor? I've actually dropped it off this morning for a couple of minor electrical fixes and the upholsterer is making me a firmer front seat. That just leaves the bonnet catches to sort out and hopefully I'm back on the road in a few weeks. The weather will be warming up again in September so the roadster will be great in the sunshine.

Hi Colin, some photos of how the latches worked would be great. I can obviously see how the hockey sticks turn in behind to secure the bonnet but I cannot work out the mechanism. I actually had someone suggest this morning that the latches could be modified to be a spring mounted latch but I don't think I will be tackling that.

Bye for now.
Thanks given by:
Well, that really is a surprise. The A model had a leaf spring front suspension. So it appears to be an A body (at least the front end) on a D chassis. If that's not the case the modifications required to an A chassis to take the D suspension would be very extensive.

Why would the auctioneers describe it as an ASX?

It would be very interesting to see a photo of the vehicle identification plate.
Thanks given by:
(17/06/2019, 10:14 AM)Chris Knapman Wrote: Well, that really is a surprise. The A model had a leaf sprung front suspension. So it appears to be an A body (at least the front end) on a D chassis. If that's not the case the modifications required to an A chassis to take the D suspension would be very extensive.

Why would the auctioneers describe it as an ASX?

It would be very interesting to see a photo of the vehicle identification plate.

Well my gut feeling of a Dx with 'A' body was correct and probably why the bonnet catches are a problem
My 'email' address is < cbuk2011@aol.com> send me an 'email' and I will forward pictures of my Cadet fixing system
Regards
Colin Bolton
Thanks given by:
(17/06/2019, 12:59 AM)Dino-ASX Wrote: Hi All, thank you for the comments. Yes, independent front suspension, not leaf springs. So, when we say is is an "A" model, does that mean "ASX" is a reasonable descriptor? I've actually dropped it off this morning for a couple of minor electrical fixes and the upholsterer is making me a firmer front seat. That just leaves the bonnet catches to sort out and hopefully I'm back on the road in a few weeks. The weather will be warming up again in September so the roadster will be great in the sunshine.

Hi Colin, some photos of how the latches worked would be great. I can obviously see how the hockey sticks turn in behind to secure the bonnet but I cannot work out the mechanism. I actually had someone suggest this morning that the latches could be modified to be a spring mounted latch but I don't think I will be tackling that.

Bye for now.

How does the starter motor operate, is it foot start or pull start from the dash. Pictures of the engine and dashboard would be usefull to assess what the car actually is.
Regards
CB
Thanks given by: