Gracious Vauxhalls Exported
I have just finished reading Ian Coomber's terrific book on Vauxhalls. What a great record of Vauxhall development.
My problem is that I am carried away wondering what beautiful Vauxhall veterans might still exist, out of the sight. Does anyone know if any of the gracious veterans that were exported to Russia or India, for example, still exist? I wonder about those two countries in particular because of the wealthy individuals who lived there in the early 20th century who would have purchased such gracious veterans. Those cars were probably destroyed or discarded in time but maybe one or two have survived? I haven't read any publication that might shed light on such Vauxhall survivors.
Mike
Thanks given by:
(03/04/2019, 08:18 AM)Mike Swanton Wrote: I have just finished reading Ian Coomber's terrific book on Vauxhalls. What a great record of Vauxhall development.
My problem is that I am carried away wondering what beautiful Vauxhall veterans might still exist, out of the sight. Does anyone know if any of the gracious veterans that were exported to Russia or India, for example, still exist? I wonder about those two countries in particular because of the wealthy individuals who lived there in the early 20th century who would have purchased such gracious veterans. Those cars were probably destroyed or discarded in time but maybe one or two have survived? I haven't read any publication that might shed light on such Vauxhall survivors.
Mike

Hi Mike,
Yes I have read this book, fascinating especially production during wartime and also the influence of GM.
Les
Thanks given by:
How many of the gracious veterans were exported to India? Not a lot, right?
Thanks given by:
(18/05/2019, 10:11 AM)Dalke Wrote: How many of the gracious veterans were exported to India? Not a lot, right?

That's not at issue. What we know is that some of Vauxhall's most glorious models were exported to Russia and India, vehicles which would have been treasured by their foreign owners. The descriptions of these exports are just wondrous and the personalisation of the cars, exceptional. England had a special place in those countries connections in those early years. And yet when I search on the cars now displayed in museums in Russia and India I don't see any of these vehicles. Perhaps they are still kept in personal collections. 
A study of the construction of these old vehicles reveals that much more brass, nickle, etc was employed, metals that resist corrosion. My oldest Vauxhall is only 1929 but I can say how amazed I was on restoring her, just how much effort had gone in to designing a car that would last, unlike the design of later mass production cars. 
Mike
Thanks given by: