New 10/4 owner in Bristol
Hi  All. I've recently bought myself a 1938 (built in '37) Vauxhall 10. I've joined the club and thought it was about time I introduced myself!

I've attached some photos of the old girl, you may have seen her on Ebay, well she didn't sell and was advertised on Gumtree where I saw her and fell in love. She's certainly a little rough round the edges but with a little bit of love I'm hoping she'll be back on the road for regular use.

I've always tinkered with cars and am currently trying to restore an 1976 Fiat van but as soon as I saw this car I knew it was the one for me - although sometimes the heart gets the better of the head and I have a feeling I've made a terrible mistake but I just couldn't let her be stripped for parts, or worse still hot-rodded!

I've started stripping parts off and assessing what we have to work with and it's not looking good. There's certainly a lot of rust but I'm not too bad with the welder (I have an old Fiat - not known for the longevity of their steel!) so that'll get sorted with time. The thing that I'm struggling with is the general lack of information out there. For a complete beginner to pre-war cars like myself it's hard to get to grips with the absolute basics, let alone the more technical details - I'm hoping that this forum will help and over time I will, in turn, be able to help others.

I was hoping to try and get the engine running before I took it out, just so I know that it has potential. I've taken the wings and bonnet off, and after a bit of an inspection last weekend I've found out I don't have the stated H6930, but a H25696! There's no radiator, no sump plug, and 4 pushrods missing, so no chance of getting her running just yet. I think my next step is to get an engine crane, get the engine out and give it a proper going over as things are looking a little worse than I'd hoped.

I'll try and keep updating on here, as like I mentioned I'm very new to pre-war British engineering and have so many questions to ask, but I thought before I ask away, it's only polite to introduce myself!

Karl

Thanks given by:
What a lovely car. It's great that you have undertaken this project! It's worth it. We have a 1946 10/4. We love it. There's a lot of knowledgable blokes on here. You may have to wait for a reply but when one comes it's usually bang on. I know a guy with a some parts if you want to pm me I can send you his details. Good luck with this fantastic car.
Mark
Thanks given by: Karl
(02/03/2019, 01:17 PM)Karl Wrote: Hi  All. I've recently bought myself a 1938 (built in '37) Vauxhall 10. I've joined the club and thought it was about time I introduced myself!

I've attached some photos of the old girl, you may have seen her on Ebay, well she didn't sell and was advertised on Gumtree where I saw her and fell in love. She's certainly a little rough round the edges but with a little bit of love I'm hoping she'll be back on the road for regular use.

I've always tinkered with cars and am currently trying to restore an 1976 Fiat van but as soon as I saw this car I knew it was the one for me - although sometimes the heart gets the better of the head and I have a feeling I've made a terrible mistake but I just couldn't let her be stripped for parts, or worse still hot-rodded!

I've started stripping parts off and assessing what we have to work with and it's not looking good. There's certainly a lot of rust but I'm not too bad with the welder (I have an old Fiat - not known for the longevity of their steel!) so that'll get sorted with time. The thing that I'm struggling with is the general lack of information out there. For a complete beginner to pre-war cars like myself it's hard to get to grips with the absolute basics, let alone the more technical details - I'm hoping that this forum will help and over time I will, in turn, be able to help others.

I was hoping to try and get the engine running before I took it out, just so I know that it has potential. I've taken the wings and bonnet off, and after a bit of an inspection last weekend I've found out I don't have the stated H6930, but a H25696! There's no radiator, no sump plug, and 4 pushrods missing, so no chance of getting her running just yet. I think my next step is to get an engine crane, get the engine out and give it a proper going over as things are looking a little worse than I'd hoped.

I'll try and keep updating on here, as like I mentioned I'm very new to pre-war British engineering and have so many questions to ask, but I thought before I ask away, it's only polite to introduce myself!

Karl

Hi Karl - Saw the car on 'e; bay - I have quite a few parts in my shed for the 10/4 for sale <cbuk2011@aol.com>
(02/03/2019, 01:17 PM)Karl Wrote: Hi  All. I've recently bought myself a 1938 (built in '37) Vauxhall 10. I've joined the club and thought it was about time I introduced myself!

Karl

I have a number of push rods how long are the ones you need
Also loads of brake shoes
Hi Karl,
Love your project. That will keep you busy for a while. You will find some useful information on the 10 / 4 on http://www.vauxpedia.net.
Mike
Thanks for the warm welcome everybody! And thank you for the sources for parts.

I've just ordered an engine crane and the plan is to get the engine out this weekend and do a proper inspection. Hopefully then I'll be better placed to email a list of 'needs' to people.

In the meantime I'm planning to spend the evenings this week servicing the carburettor, it had a 30VIG-5 installed which I believe was wrong, even for the replacement engine so I managed to get a 30VIG-3 for what I think was a good price on ebay - with service kit in hand I'm planning to give it a once over!
Thanks given by:
(04/03/2019, 07:42 AM)Karl Wrote: Thanks for the warm welcome everybody! And thank you for the sources for parts.

I've just ordered an engine crane and the plan is to get the engine out this weekend and do a proper inspection. Hopefully then I'll be better placed to email a list of 'needs' to people.

In the meantime I'm planning to spend the evenings this week servicing the carburettor, it had a 30VIG-5 installed which I believe was wrong, even for the replacement engine so I managed to get a 30VIG-3 for what I think was a good price on ebay - with service kit in hand I'm planning to give it a once over!

The 30VIG -5 is for the 6 cylinder 'J' type I think - Will check
Thanks given by:
I think you're right - I must've read that somewhere as after taking it off and realising I had to go back outside to count the number HT leads just in case Smile I think I've also read it might be from a Velox. I'm guessing it must've worked with this engine as it was pretty well stuck on there, but where possible I'd like to get things more original, at least that way it's easier to fault find!
Thanks given by:

Karl

Hi Karl
 The carb you have removed is for a an 'L' type Vauxhall of around 1948
I may be interested in a swap if I have any parts you may need
Thanks given by:
That sounds like a good idea. At the moment I'm not sure what I need, well there's lots of parts I need but I really should try and prioritise things. I'd definitely be interested in those pushrods but need to get mine out to measure them. Give me till after the weekend and I'll get back to you Smile
Thanks given by: