Chrome tube for H T leads
A question. Did any DX variant come out with a chrome tube bolted on to the side vent cover that carried the H T leads from the distributor to the plugs? In going through parts I acquired recently I found that a 1935 DX of unknown assembly had been fitted with just such a tube. They were common on Vintage cars but I'm not sure that Vauxhall, or any of its body builders, used them on a 1935 DX. I must admit it does look good. It makes the engine look so much more tidy, sporty and special.
Mike   
Thanks given by:
I have tried fitting it and whilst it does fit, the tight bunch of HT leads sitting directly above the distributor constricts the free movement of the vacuum advance making for poor performance. It looks good but can't easily be adjusted to free up the distributor so I'm sure it can't have been an original part.
Mike
Thanks given by:
No such tube appears on any views in handbooks, brochures, parts list, etc. However for a brief period a very neat cover for the leads was fitted. Google 'vauxpedia' and scroll down to the MkiI DY,DX section. There is a RH side view of the engine with this cover. It was secured by 2 chromed acorn nuts like the rocker cover. There were bosses on the head to take the studs for these nuts. After the cover was no longer fitted these bosses continued to appear (untapped) for some time.
Incidentally the gasket for this plug cover turns up occasionally in n.o.s. head decoke sets.
Thanks given by: Mike Swanton