Fouled Spark plugs
Hi Everyone. We have been enjoying our 1946 10-4 almost daily for the last few months. I started to notice that she would struggle to start. I would pull the plugs and they would be fouled with oil and unburnt fuel. I would leave the plugs out for about ten minutes and then it would start. This problem would get progressively worse with more oil and fuel. It now won't start. I'm fairly new to these cars, pretty sure there is no stem valves but I could be wrong? Any advice?
Thanks given by:
(10/11/2018, 07:01 PM)Mark.mcglynn Wrote: Hi Everyone. We have been enjoying our 1946 10-4 almost daily for the last few months. I started to notice that she would struggle to start. I would pull the plugs and they would be fouled with oil and unburnt fuel. I would leave the plugs out for about ten minutes and then it would start. This problem would get progressively worse with more oil and fuel. It now won't start. I'm fairly new to these cars, pretty sure there is no stem valves but I could be wrong? Any advice?

Hi Mark,
Stem Valve is a tyre valve maybe you mean the exhaust and inlet valves which would give rough running. I would check out the electricals maybe the condenser by fitting a new one also the points in the distributor that might be the problem. 
Les
Thanks given by:
Worn rings, valve guides worn, valve stem oil seals not effective? Check compression!
Thanks given by:
(10/11/2018, 07:01 PM)Mark.mcglynn Wrote: Hi Everyone. We have been enjoying our 1946 10-4 almost daily for the last few months. I started to notice that she would struggle to start. I would pull the plugs and they would be fouled with oil and unburnt fuel. I would leave the plugs out for about ten minutes and then it would start. This problem would get progressively worse with more oil and fuel. It now won't start. I'm fairly new to these cars, pretty sure there is no stem valves but I could be wrong? Any advice?

Is the engine showing any signs of smoking from the exhaust as would be the case for worn rings or valve guides. Chris's suggestion of pressure testing the cylinders will give many answers. I would expect running pressures of around 80 t0 100psi if all is well.
If this test is fine it is possibly the coil or condenser that is at fault
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the great replies. I did the points and condenser before I put it in to storage a few years back so I think that could be a good start. Also the coil does run quite hot. Any recommendations where to get points, condenser and coil?
Thanks given by:
(28/11/2018, 12:49 PM)Mark.mcglynn Wrote: Thanks for the great replies. I did the points and condenser before I put it in to storage a few years back so I think that could be a good start. Also the coil does run quite hot. Any recommendations where to get points, condenser and coil?
Hi Mark,
        You will find what you require on ebay, use the word classic in your search. Have you checked compression as previously suggested. Again search on the web on how to do a wet and dry test. The tools required for this is again on ebay.
Thanks given by: