j14 restoration
Photo 
I have been a club member since 1983 I own a 1955 Cresta which ,apart from sticking brakes, is in fine roadworthy condition. I also have a J14 GDD789. Stupidly I took the J apart about twenty eight years ago, started to restore it then got side tracked. Other cars, family and work meant that it is still completely in bits. However, over the last three months I have managed to do some work. I have stripped the body itself to bare metal and etch primed it. The underside I spent many months on years ago and it is still in fine order and finished in 2K gloss black.  I have had to do repairs to both sill rear ends making up a small panel for the top and outside edge of one and plating the undersides of both. One more bit requires looking at below the boot. That I will do later when I can get back underneath. The primer I have used is none hydroscopic so can be left as need be. However, I would like to get some top coat on A S A P. I will use 2k primer filler but hopefully cellulose top coat as it is more  authentic.  My problem is the colour. When I first bought the car in' 82 it had been resprayed but not well. I did it again but basically there was too much paint on it. That and wanting to get behind the chassis frame is why I dismantled it. The nearest match was a Fiat colour but I have lost the reference for that. I have a box full of old Valentines paint chips. By using them and trying to find bits of original paint I have found one that would perhaps do. I f I can get it mixed !
                                     The original colour was called Florador Blue. It is a lot to ask perhaps, but I wondered if anyone who had carried out a restoration had managed to get a code or number for this blue???? It would be nice to be able to get it right.
                                       My car is in amazing original condition with all the underside, other than the small repair I still need to do, as it left the factory. The clock shows 24000 or so miles and may well be correct. It had been on show in a showroom for years before I bought it and was originally chauffer driven for the wife of Mr. Mitchell of M&B brewers.  I met a couple at Stoneleigh many years ago who had had their honeymoon in the sixties in it. His father had been the chauffer so he sent me the old log book and petrol rationing book etc.
                                                           Any help with the colour would be very much appreciated.

Bill Atkinson.
Thanks given by:
(01/11/2018, 04:26 PM)bill atkinson Wrote: I have been a club member since 1983 I own a 1955 Cresta which ,apart from sticking brakes, is in fine roadworthy condition. I also have a J14 GDD789. Stupidly I took the J apart about twenty eight years ago, started to restore it then got side tracked. Other cars, family and work meant that it is still completely in bits. However, over the last three months I have managed to do some work. I have stripped the body itself to bare metal and etch primed it. The underside I spent many months on years ago and it is still in fine order and finished in 2K gloss black.  I have had to do repairs to both sill rear ends making up a small panel for the top and outside edge of one and plating the undersides of both. One more bit requires looking at below the boot. That I will do later when I can get back underneath. The primer I have used is none hydroscopic so can be left as need be. However, I would like to get some top coat on A S A P. I will use 2k primer filler but hopefully cellulose top coat as it is more  authentic.  My problem is the colour. When I first bought the car in' 82 it had been resprayed but not well. I did it again but basically there was too much paint on it. That and wanting to get behind the chassis frame is why I dismantled it. The nearest match was a Fiat colour but I have lost the reference for that. I have a box full of old Valentines paint chips. By using them and trying to find bits of original paint I have found one that would perhaps do. I f I can get it mixed !
                                     The original colour was called Florador Blue. It is a lot to ask perhaps, but I wondered if anyone who had carried out a restoration had managed to get a code or number for this blue???? It would be nice to be able to get it right.
                                       My car is in amazing original condition with all the underside, other than the small repair I still need to do, as it left the factory. The clock shows 24000 or so miles and may well be correct. It had been on show in a showroom for years before I bought it and was originally chauffer driven for the wife of Mr. Mitchell of M&B brewers.  I met a couple at Stoneleigh many years ago who had had their honeymoon in the sixties in it. His father had been the chauffer so he sent me the old log book and petrol rationing book etc.

Bill Atkinson.
Thanks given by:
Hi Bill can't help with the colour but it seems we have the same modle , same year car mine was reimported to uk by its original owner in 1980 and striped for restoration which is still ongoing  by me , she is now on the road with just small jobs to do
gary in Suffolk
Thanks given by:
Great story Bill. Lovely to hear about your J.
I finished my '46 J restoration a couple of years back and they are a fun car to drive. My only gripe is that the power isn't quite enough.
Mike
Thanks given by:
(01/11/2018, 04:26 PM)bill atkinson Wrote: I have been a club member since 1983 I own a 1955 Cresta which ,apart from sticking brakes, is in fine roadworthy condition. I also have a J14 GDD789. Stupidly I took the J apart about twenty eight years ago, started to restore it then got side tracked. Other cars, family and work meant that it is still completely in bits. However, over the last three months I have managed to do some work. I have stripped the body itself to bare metal and etch primed it. The underside I spent many months on years ago and it is still in fine order and finished in 2K gloss black.  I have had to do repairs to both sill rear ends making up a small panel for the top and outside edge of one and plating the undersides of both. One more bit requires looking at below the boot. That I will do later when I can get back underneath. The primer I have used is none hydroscopic so can be left as need be. However, I would like to get some top coat on A S A P. I will use 2k primer filler but hopefully cellulose top coat as it is more  authentic.  My problem is the colour. When I first bought the car in' 82 it had been resprayed but not well. I did it again but basically there was too much paint on it. That and wanting to get behind the chassis frame is why I dismantled it. The nearest match was a Fiat colour but I have lost the reference for that. I have a box full of old Valentines paint chips. By using them and trying to find bits of original paint I have found one that would perhaps do. I f I can get it mixed !

Bill Atkinson.
Hello Bill, not sure if this will be of any help to you, if you look at http://www.vauxpedia.net  and scroll down to the vast section listing all the models covered, select "Vauxhall HIY,HIX, I and J, 10hp, 12hp,and 14hp 1946-1948,"  on pages 10, 12, and 14 of that section you will find pictures of Florador Blue as this colour was used on all three models of that era.  Whether or not you think that it would be worth taking a print off of that to a motor trade paint supplier to see if they could mix a match is debatable !  Any port in a storm !!  
Regards,
DaveD
Thanks given by:
(02/11/2018, 11:29 AM)DaveD Wrote:

Bill Atkinson.
Hello Bill, not sure if this will be of any help to you, if you look at http://www.vauxpedia.net  and scroll down to the vast section listing all the models covered, select "Vauxhall HIY,HIX, I and J, 10hp, 12hp,and 14hp 1946-1948,"  on pages 10, 12, and 14 of that section you will find pictures of Florador Blue as this colour was used on all three models of that era.  Whether or not you think that it would be worth taking a print off of that to a motor trade paint supplier to see if they could mix a match is debatable !  Any port in a storm !!  
Regards,
DaveD
Thanks given by:
Thank you for the replies. I have got a brochure that shows Florador Blue but I don't think it is very close to the colour I have found on the car. I have mailed a company that I have dealt with in the past and who told me when I ordered the etch primer that they could still supply the original spec Spraygloss cellulose that Valentine paints originally produced. I was involved with the production of Piper sports cars many years ago and used this paint on them. The last one left our factory in 1973 so it is a while since I used it! I am on the Piper Cars stand at the NEC classic next weekend so will perhaps take the paint chip I have that is nearest in the hope that I may find a supplier there. I will now look at vauxpedia.net Thanks for the link Dave.
Thanks given by:
(02/11/2018, 11:29 AM)DaveD Wrote:

Bill Atkinson.
Regards,
DaveD
Thanks given by: