Distributor HIY 10 hp
The other day I removed the distributor, DKZ4A-P27, vacuum regulator model VCMA, in order to inspect it for wear and as a step in manually identifying and make a timing mark on the flywheel ring gear. The reason is that there is no steel ball on my flywheel. see my thread TDC HIY 10 hp.

I have noticed some issues about the distributor, but I think the main issue is the excessive distributor shaft end play/end float: 1,05 mm (.041”). The Owners Manual says that “the maximum permissible end float is .003 in. (.076 mm)”.

My guess before I removed the distributor shaft was that the fibre washer under the advance mechanism base plate was worn or even vanished. But the washer was there, the thickness is 1,6 mm (.063”). The surfaces seem OK, but there is a crack in the ring, probably caused by some of the welding material dots round the axle. The inner diameter is approximately 14,2 mm (.559”), the outer diameter 21 mm (.827”).

The thrust washer over the distributor gear is 3 mm (.118”) thick, it seems OK. I cannot see that the distributor gear is noticeably worn.

So now my guess is that the distributor bracket is worn. The upper area, heading against the vacuum unit bracket, is visibly worn. The height of the distributor bracket is 35,51‑35,56 mm (1.398-1.400”). The thickness of the vacuum unit bracket is 2,94 mm (.112”) on the circle between the distributor bracket and the distributor body, 3,03 mm (.121”) elsewhere.

As I understand, the easiest way to solve this issue is to put a proper steel washer between the distributor bracket and the vacuum unit bracket. And replace the broken fibre washer with a new one. If the fibre washer is 1,3 mm, the steel washer should be 1 mm.

Can it be that easy? Comments?

Can it be that a solution like this will put an end to the regular, circular movement of the distributor body that I noticed before I removed the distributor. It looked as if the shaft was a little bent. I can imagine that the excessive end float made the driving gear meet the gear on the camshaft approximately 1 mm too high, or too low?, and that caused the movement. Comments?

Another issue. When I had loosened the two nuts holding the distributor I noticed that I could move the distributor a couple of millimetres at the rear screw. As I removed the distributor I noticed there was no steel bush, “bush – distributor bracket mounting stud” according to the Shop Manual. Not too difficult to make one, but any advice about how to make, or buy one, is appreciated. For instance, is it recommendable to us a suitable copper pipe? Or must it be steel?

Last question this time is about the vacuum unit.

In the Owners Handbook is a picture showing the “Setting the micrometer adjustment”. The indicator on the rod is between “R” and “A”, on the opposite side near the “0”- sign. The numbers on the scale opposite the “R”-“A”-scale are 4-0-4. The text says that “The sign ‘0’ on the scale indicates the normal setting". On the picture the knob is in a position that I can guess makes it possible to turn the knob to move the indicator both to R4 and A4 and even a bit more.

On my vacuum unit the micrometer looks like the enclosed picture. The “R” and “A” letters are same as in the Owners Handbook, but numbers on the opposite side are 8-4-0. When I turn the knob clockwise as far as possible the indicator is in a position that I appreciate to be near the score which I guess shows #2, if there had been a such number.

So – what is the “normal setting” on my regulator? When I cannot turn the knob anymore, and the indicator is a little nearer “A” than “R”, in a position little less than the score showing #2? Or when the indicator on the rod is exactly between the “R” and “A”, in a position little more than the score showing #2. And what does the numbers mean?

I have noticed that some of you are very quick making replies. I really appreciate that, but this time I can say: Take it easy, tomorrow we are leaving home for a couple of days, I will be back on Sunday afternoon or evening.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
(04/07/2018, 07:29 PM)swedevaux Wrote: The other day I removed the distributor, DKZ4A-P27, vacuum regulator model VCMA, in order to inspect it for wear and as a step in manually identifying and make a timing mark on the flywheel ring gear. The reason is that there is no steel ball on my flywheel. see my thread TDC HIY 10 hp.

I have noticed some issues about the distributor, but I think the main issue is the excessive distributor shaft end play/end float: 1,05 mm (.041”). The Owners Manual says that “the maximum permissible end float is .003 in. (.076 mm)”.

My guess before I removed the distributor shaft was that the fibre washer under the advance mechanism base plate was worn or even vanished. But the washer was there, the thickness is 1,6 mm (.063”). The surfaces seem OK, but there is a crack in the ring, probably caused by some of the welding material dots round the axle. The inner diameter is approximately 14,2 mm (.559”), the outer diameter 21 mm (.827”).

The thrust washer over the distributor gear is 3 mm (.118”) thick, it seems OK. I cannot see that the distributor gear is noticeably worn.

So now my guess is that the distributor bracket is worn. The upper area, heading against the vacuum unit bracket, is visibly worn. The height of the distributor bracket is 35,51‑35,56 mm (1.398-1.400”). The thickness of the vacuum unit bracket is 2,94 mm (.112”) on the circle between the distributor bracket and the distributor body, 3,03 mm (.121”) elsewhere.

As I understand, the easiest way to solve this issue is to put a proper steel washer between the distributor bracket and the vacuum unit bracket. And replace the broken fibre washer with a new one. If the fibre washer is 1,3 mm, the steel washer should be 1 mm.

Can it be that easy? Comments?

Can it be that a solution like this will put an end to the regular, circular movement of the distributor body that I noticed before I removed the distributor. It looked as if the shaft was a little bent. I can imagine that the excessive end float made the driving gear meet the gear on the camshaft approximately 1 mm too high, or too low?, and that caused the movement. Comments?

Another issue. When I had loosened the two nuts holding the distributor I noticed that I could move the distributor a couple of millimetres at the rear screw. As I removed the distributor I noticed there was no steel bush, “bush – distributor bracket mounting stud” according to the Shop Manual. Not too difficult to make one, but any advice about how to make, or buy one, is appreciated. For instance, is it recommendable to us a suitable copper pipe? Or must it be steel?

Last question this time is about the vacuum unit.

In the Owners Handbook is a picture showing the “Setting the micrometer adjustment”. The indicator on the rod is between “R” and “A”, on the opposite side near the “0”- sign. The numbers on the scale opposite the “R”-“A”-scale are 4-0-4. The text says that “The sign ‘0’ on the scale indicates the normal setting". On the picture the knob is in a position that I can guess makes it possible to turn the knob to move the indicator both to R4 and A4 and even a bit more.

On my vacuum unit the micrometer looks like the enclosed picture. The “R” and “A” letters are same as in the Owners Handbook, but numbers on the opposite side are 8-4-0. When I turn the knob clockwise as far as possible the indicator is in a position that I appreciate to be near the score which I guess shows #2, if there had been a such number.

So – what is the “normal setting” on my regulator? When I cannot turn the knob anymore, and the indicator is a little nearer “A” than “R”, in a position little less than the score showing #2? Or when the indicator on the rod is exactly between the “R” and “A”, in a position little more than the score showing #2. And what does the numbers mean?

I have noticed that some of you are very quick making replies. I really appreciate that, but this time I can say: Take it easy, tomorrow we are leaving home for a couple of days, I will be back on Sunday afternoon or evening.

I wish you good holidays ….
Thanks given by:
Can you please measure the height of the distributor bracket? The height on mine is 35,51‑35,56 mm (1.398-1.400”). I want to know if it can be badly worn, approximately 1 mm.
Thanks given by:
(12/07/2018, 07:45 AM)swedevaux Wrote: Can you please measure the height of the distributor bracket? The height on mine is 35,51‑35,56 mm (1.398-1.400”). I want to know if it can be badly worn, approximately 1 mm.

HI Swedevaux …

Are you asking this for me ???
If so can you "translate" "distributor bracket"; I am portuguese and I have some vocabular handicap..

My engine is not running but I can mesure this for you ..

My distributor ….

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Hi
My question was ment for anyone having a distributor removed from the engine.
"Vocabular handicap" - I am a swede so I know about that!
"Distributor bracket" is the term used in the Vauxhall Shop Manual Models H & I for the part that holds the distributor assembly to the engine, with two nuts. See attached pictures.

The visibly worn area on the bracket is at the bottom of the bracket, the surface heading agasinst the thrust washer. So in my first post I was wrong.
Is your distributor still on the engine? If so, do not change your priorities. If rust and dirt it can be tricky to get the rear nut loose.
I guess you will have to make a tool to loosen the rear nut. I made one which you can see in this picture.

If I get no answer I am going to try either to make a new thrust washer, 4 mm, to replace the 3 mm thrust washer, or make a 1 mm washer to put between the bracket and the thrust washer. Comments?
Thanks given by:
HI
Next week I will be out ….. north Portugal … Smile Smile
There are one new vídeo, but not finished ….
Thanks given by: Mike Swanton