Newbie from South Africa
Hi Guys,
I own a 1950 Vauxhall Wyvern. It was my grand fathers and i grew up with car, but unfortunately it never ran since i can remember (always just played in it). It has very low mileage but a problem occurred with the electrics back in '87 (according to my dad) and that just made it stand. I will tackle the restoration and hopefully get it to tip top shape. 
We are lucky in that it was in the kalahari, so no rust, just sun damage.
Hopefully you all can assist me with tips to overall her (see a few SAFFAs on the forum too).  
Nelson Broden
Thanks given by:
(30/05/2018, 01:24 PM)NelsonB Wrote: Hi Guys,
I own a 1950 Vauxhall Wyvern. It was my grand fathers and i grew up with car, but unfortunately it never ran since i can remember (always just played in it). It has very low mileage but a problem occurred with the electrics back in '87 (according to my dad) and that just made it stand. I will tackle the restoration and hopefully get it to tip top shape. 
We are lucky in that it was in the kalahari, so no rust, just sun damage.
Hopefully you all can assist me with tips to overall her (see a few SAFFAs on the forum too).  
Nelson Broden

Good luck with the restoration Nelson. There aren't many LIXs left here in NZ.
Are you able to post some photos?
Mike
Thanks given by:
Photo 
Thanks,
See some photos attached. I started to strip the chrome pieces and already had some it re-chromed. 
I hoped to get a restoration manual, but guess that is not available?
Hope to get it to our new home in a few months to really get into it.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
(31/05/2018, 08:41 AM)NelsonB Wrote: Thanks,
See some photos attached. I started to strip the chrome pieces and already had some it re-chromed. 
I hoped to get a restoration manual, but guess that is not available?
Hope to get it to our new home in a few months to really get into it.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the restoration. A workshop manual would help with your endeavors also when you become a full member you will gain access to the rest of the forum which is a mine of information and other members experiences.

Les
Thanks given by:
Nice shots Nelson.
I'm assuming there are trafficators in the central pillar?
The door cards are unique to South Africa as far as I am aware. They look good.
Do you have the interior light and its plastic lens?
Do you have the original LIX hub caps?
Mike
Thanks given by:
(01/06/2018, 02:09 AM)Mike Swanton Wrote: Nice shots Nelson.
Mike

Hi Mike,
thanks.
I have the light fitting for the interior, but the lens broke years ago in the kalahari heat. I was thinking of making mold with silicone to manufacture it.
I have 4 hubcaps, but im not sure if they are original (as far as im aware the car is completely original). I did notice however that some cars have logos or stripes on the hubcaps (perhaps Velox only?). Mine is plain chrome/stainless that i will polish. 
Yes, there are trafficators in the pillars. Luckily i still have 2, but they are not exactly the same color. Might have to get a new pair.
The instruments im worried about. The speedo/odo is fine, but other meters needles are off or bent. Not sure if that can be restored and if new/2nd hand ones are available.
In SA classic tyres are also not available. The best i can find is 175/75R16 - will see if they can work. 

I hope to bring the car to our new house in a few months and then the real work will start with more pictures.

Hope everyone here can assist.
thanks so far.
Thanks given by:
You're right Nelson in assuming that the correct LIX hub caps are smooth chromed domes. The LIP hub caps had the outer ridges, etc.
The inside light fitting is always fragile, if not broken, by this age. I have examples of the originals but they get distorted when old PLUS brittle and delicate. If you have a way to mold the original shape and make new ones, I'd be a starter to buy one from you.
On tyres, I found radial tyres for my LIP (as yours are) and they make the handling of the car so much better. You'll be glad you didn't put cross ply tyres on. My tyres are 165 (slightly narrower, which is quite fine) and are on an 80% profile rather than your 75. Don't drop down any lower or the car won't look right on the road and your speedo will be way out. (LIP tyres are 15s whilst LIX tyres are 16s)
Mike
Thanks given by:
(01/06/2018, 08:28 AM)NelsonB Wrote:
(01/06/2018, 02:09 AM)Mike Swanton Wrote: Nice shots Nelson.
Mike

Hi Mike,
thanks.
I have the light fitting for the interior, but the lens broke years ago in the kalahari heat. I was thinking of making mold with silicone to manufacture it.
I have 4 hubcaps, but im not sure if they are original (as far as im aware the car is completely original). I did notice however that some cars have logos or stripes on the hubcaps (perhaps Velox only?). Mine is plain chrome/stainless that i will polish. 
Yes, there are trafficators in the pillars. Luckily i still have 2, but they are not exactly the same color. Might have to get a new pair.
The instruments im worried about. The speedo/odo is fine, but other meters needles are off or bent. Not sure if that can be restored and if new/2nd hand ones are available.
In SA classic tyres are also not available. The best i can find is 175/75R16 - will see if they can work. 

I hope to bring the car to our new house in a few months and then the real work will start with more pictures.

Hope everyone here can assist.
thanks so far.

Hi there Nelson, Im afraid I havent been on here in far too long, I am in Cape Town and have a 1938 12/4 and managed to locate 500x16 tyres in South Africa, so if youd like to contact me, I may be able to help with more items as the engine is common to both cars, my email addy is ptweddepohl@absamail.co.za and Im on Face Book Peter Weddepohl
Thanks given by: