G & mark 2 D model hubcap skins
The G model hubcap and the mark 2 D model hubcap share the same outer skin except for the center hole in the D hubcap. Over the decades many of these outer skins have torn and been beaten up to such an extent that they can't be repaired.

I've been in brief discussions with someone who is currently making a sample G model hubcap outer skin and, if successful, will be proposing to manufacture a run of them. I am not expecting to see his first sample until the second week of February at the earliest. Depending upon cost of course, and how one might get them fitted over repaired inner steel hub caps and then chromed, I am thinking of ordering three sets of G model hubcap skins. 

It would be equally possible to consider fitting these proposed skins, with the center hole added, on a mark 2 D model hubcap inner. My mark 2 D is an oily rag restoration so I won't personally be looking to put pristine hubcaps on her.

Is there any interest, in principle, amongst other club members to consider adding to my order, whether that be for G model, or mark 2 D model, hubcap skins? I am sure the price won't be cheap but if I lodge a larger order the unit price should be reduced. 

Mike Swanton
Thanks given by:
Mike,

I have looked into several scenarios re. these hub cap skins.

Even to the stage of spinning a stainless cap complete and then pressing the pattern.
As with things like this it all comes down to cost, tooling for the above would be nearly £2.500. so a substantial number would have to be sold to recoup initial cost.

Maybe your man has come up with another idea, Hydro forming? Soft pressing?
The above would be a cheaper option but either way the press pattern tool is the nasty bit, a lot of work involved, especially copying a compound curve.

Let's hope the tooling your man is working on comes out at a reasonable cost.

As with the majority of remanufactured items required for the old Vauxhalls, it depends on demand. 
I think most people will try and repair or bodge up to keep costs down, even if a solution is found regarding a remanufactured replacement that will last the life of the car.
I am putting on the forum an feeler advert for Manifold gaskets, this is for the D, J, and L type cars just to see what the interest may be.

Looking forward to your to your next input on this subject.
Regards.
Chas.

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. A optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
Thanks given by: BUGAS03
Thanks Chas.

I certainly appreciate the cost implications of looking at reproducing our double skinned hubcaps. It took me a lot of effort to restore old ones.

I'll let you know what my contact's process involves and the resultant cost when I know more. My contact advertises that he is the only one here who tackles hubcaps like ours and he advertises in the Vintage Car newsletter. So I am hoping that he has a cost effective process.

Regards, Mike
Thanks given by: BUGAS03
Hi all, going by the prices for other cap skins he has made the cost sould be in the vicinity of $150.00 NZ fitted. I dont consider that to be expensive when compared to the cost of getting old, beat up caps professionally restored.

On another matter Chas, the Vauxhall Club in Australia has been reproducing manifold gaskets for D, J and L for years, along with virtually every other model from 1928 - mid sixties. Perhaps it would be cheaper to buy some from us rather than get your own done there.

Leigh.
Thanks given by:
(22/01/2018, 02:21 AM)griffinvale Wrote: Hi all, going by the prices for other cap skins he has made the cost sould be in the vicinity of $150.00 NZ fitted. I dont consider that to be expensive when compared to the cost of getting old, beat up caps professionally restored.

On another matter Chas, the Vauxhall Club in Australia has been reproducing manifold gaskets for D, J and L for years, along with virtually every other model from 1928 - mid sixties.  Perhaps it would be cheaper to buy some from us rather than get your own done there.

Leigh.
Leigh,

Thanks for the information.

On the hub caps - Is this the same guy that Mike is talking about, and does it by any chance include chrome?
That cost at $150 (£125) is very good even without chrome.

Ref. the gaskets - Since our UK spares "system" has closed down (without any sign of re-opening in the near future) gaskets are getting a problem.
The Vauxhall club in Australia, which one is it? Can you give me the full title?
I will then make some enquiry's.
Regards.
Chas.

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. A optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
Thanks given by:
The contact I refer to is the same contact Leigh refers to above. Leigh and I have been talking about our need for better hubcaps.
At this stage I don't know what the cost structure might be but the skins can only be fitted to a steel inner before chroming as the fitting process involves turning the brass edges over the steel inner. I am expecting Leigh's cost estimate to be for the brass skins without chrome.
Mike
Thanks given by:
Hi all, the skins are polished stainless steel.

I believe cost to be $180.00 NZ fitted to your original shell.

Leigh.
Thanks given by:
That sounds very reasonable Leigh. NZ$180 is approximately UK£100
Mike
Thanks given by:
I've now seen an image of the first sample G model hub caps he has produced. The outer skin is pressed out of polished stainless steel so no need for chroming. It is folded on to the steel inner, around the edges, just as the original skins were fitted.
The central "Vauxhall" pattern he has created looks good and the hub caps are finished in a good polished finish.
But, as I'm not sure how closely he has copied the G model hub cap pattern, I've ordered a set of 4 to evaluate, that I am having fitted to four steel inners I already have that are in reasonable order. I will post a photograph when I have them, next month.
The latest cost he quotes is nearly NZ$300 each, excluding postage and packaging, that is they are approximately £150 plus postage and packaging. This is more than I expected but still cheaper than trying to restore old beaten up hub caps.
Mike
Thanks given by:
Mike ,
I will be very interested to see the "vauxhall"  impression/pattern created on the caps.
It is a very difficult operation to create an exact copy if they are pressed caps, or did he spin them then press the pattern?
Creating the impression for hydro forming (in female form) is time consuming and difficult enough!
Regards.
Chas.

Thanks given by: