Oil pump
Does anyone have or know of an oil pump for a Velox E? Engine rebuilt and very low oil pressure, 15psi. Not sure if it is the problem but need to try and find one if it is.
Thanks given by:
(31/10/2017, 10:32 AM)bill94d Wrote: Does anyone have or know of an oil pump for a Velox E? Engine rebuilt and very low oil pressure, 15psi. Not sure if it is the problem but need to try and find one if it is.

I would think your pump has the pressure release valve built into the body. It is possible that the spring is weak or the valve seat is damaged or it has dirt on it holding the valve slightly open. I assume you have your pressure gauge on the main supply to the bearings and not on the filter return?
The Vauxhall pumps are similar to the Morris 1000 pumps or at least as I remember the internal drive is the same,
Thanks given by: bill94d
Thanks CB. I will have to remove the pump I think. The gauge is inserted into the oil pressure switch housing on the block. Very little pressure at idle and increases to 15psi as I increase the revs. I am trying to find a company that can do the job, but Moggy 1000 bits are easy to come by if it will work.
Thanks given by:
(31/10/2017, 11:54 AM)bill94d Wrote: Thanks CB. I will have to remove the pump I think. The gauge is inserted into the oil pressure switch housing on the block. Very little pressure at idle and increases to 15psi as I increase the revs. I am trying to find a company that can do the job, but Moggy 1000 bits are easy to come by if it will work.

When you drop the sump, check the pick-up tube and pump head bolts, they may be loose!
Gauze filters gave a problem as well.
Check your rocker feed tube/s too, although they are low pressure, but it all adds up.
Correct size bearing shells fitted?

If you remove the pump send it to me and I will supply one rebuilt.
Regards.
Chas.

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. A optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
Thanks given by:
Chas,

You are a star. I hope I have got to the bottom of it. When I bought the car I was give a spare oil filter, a Purolator MF24. When we rebuilt the engine I fitted it having removed a similar. Then having the problems with the oil pressure I decided as a last throw of the dice to change the filter. I had ordered some from In line filters, a Baldwin FBW-P40. It was superficially the same but had a rubber sealing washer on the top. Lo and behold, when fitted I got oil pressure, as checked by a gauge bought online. I then read the shop manual, and the only remedy for low oil pressure given is incorrect assembly of oil filter. It says to check the rubber seal at the top of the element and renew as necessary. Oil pressure is 25psi cold, so not great but more than I was getting. I will run for a bit before electing to remove the pump, but ever so grateful to Chas.
(12/07/2017, 08:55 AM)Clive Wrote:
(12/07/2017, 08:12 AM)bill94d Wrote:
(11/07/2017, 09:42 PM)Bish Wrote: Sorry to see you have a new problem Bill chin up you're not the only one, my son and I have difficulty in bleeding the brakes after I renewed the front wheel cylinders, we pumped through two litres of brake fluid through all the brake lines and not an inkling of any brake pressure, I now suspect  maybe the master cylinder is a bit weak and the seals could do with replacing or an air lock in the brake line that loops over the back axle. Have decided to take a couple of days off, I hate brakes!!
Les

Gents,

Surely that is what a forum like this is for? Admit mistakes so that others of the fraternity may be spared the ignominy and expense, even add a bit of humour where appropriate. I also belong to the A35 club and with their greater numbers it is very active but in the same vein. So the little Austin will go to France in September instead of the Velox, much to my wife's displeasure. I will get this engine (donk in RAF parlance) out and it will go back in better fettle than it was removed. I would strongly suspect Bish's master cylinder if you cant get any brake pressure at all. Get a re-sleeved one and use silicone brake fluid and you are all set.
I would add caution concerning silicon brake fluid, as it has been known for pattern seals - wheel cylinders and the like - to be made from silicon. Not a good combination!
Clive.
Thanks given by: