How to use the Helpdesk
I have established this 'Helpdesk' area, into which you can ask questions about how to use the forum if it's not clear. Asking questions isn't a bad thing really, as it gets users up to speed more quickly and the Helpdesk area will amass a number of questions and answers that forum users can consult. I'll try to write guides so that in lieu of a proper training course, everyone can read them to understand more about how the forum works and what it is capable of doing for us. It's certainly not all about text; we can display photos and even host files that others can download, for example brochures and other content.

If you're having difficulty with the forum, this area might have an answer to your questions. At the outset, it's obvious that this area will be empty apart from this thread and any others that I speculatively create.

How to use it

I'd ask that you check this area first to see if your issue or question has been asked and if so, view the appropruate thread to find out more.

If on the other hand you are sure that your question is new, please start a new thread and put a short version of your question in the 'Thread Subject' box, and any other information into the 'Your Message' box, then submit it and hopefully I'll be along soon to answer.

Cheers,

Ian.
Thanks given by:
My 14/6 has the battery connected to negative earth should this be positive? after ten miles battery is flat and the old girl wont start.
martin
Thanks given by:
Hello Martin, I expect your car had an electromagnetic regulator as standard, like mine. Mine is still 6V Positive Earth, although there are a number of reasons why many cars are converted to negative earth, usually at the same time to 12V electrics. These reasons seem to be topped by the better lighting afforded by halogen lamps, easier battery procurement and compatibility with modern cars for components such as bulbs and flasher relays etc.

Are you running 12V or 6V?

If the battery was wired the wrong way round the car wouldn't start as the starter wouldn't engage, so it's not that simple. Do you still have the electromagnetic (Lucas bakelite box) regulator?

Ian.
Thanks given by: