Dry Spray/Orange Peel
Photo 
Hi guys thought to drop a line as there is not much activity on the forum at present.

My Velox L Type was given a ground up restoration in New Zealand I guess some fifteen ago, the paintwork appears to be a very nice job except for the complete offside wing which suffered from dry spray caused by (according to my web research) spraying in hot weather or onto a hot surface, this feels like sandpaper when wiping your hand across but not really noticeable except under closer inspection in good light.
   I have tried to ignore it but it bugged me repeatedly as it caught my eye every time I walked past, anyway I decided to bite the bullet and have a go repairing it although I have never tried working on paintwork before, so genning up on the subject I managed to do a satisfactory job as I describe below.
    First I acquired the following materials:- Wet and Dry 1500 and 3000 grit, Farecia G3 Regular Grade and G10 Finishing Paste Compound. I then 1/3 filled a bucket of rainwater with a dash of washing up liquid and then wrapped 1500 grit paper around a cloth covered sponge and with trepidation proceeded to sand down the wing with copious amount of water horizontally, drying of with a towel occasionally to check on how much of the dry spray I had taken off till the wing was nice and smooth with no imperfections, then repeated with 3000 grit rubbing down vertically to clear any abrasions left by the 1500 grit using a fresh bucket of slightly soapy water, then washed down and dried off with a towel. Next using a wet buffing pad and copious amounts G3 paste spread evenly over the pad, rigorously polished the area and then repeated with a new pad with G10 finishing compound. Finally feeding the paint with Maguiars mirror glaze then finishing with Maguiars NXT Tech Wax.
     I am relieved that I didn't rub through to the undercoat although I did take care with the wet and dry. I certainly would not recommend doing this on modern 2 pack paint and lacquer clear coat finish, as my car is painted in the old cellulose paint I got away with it.
     Results as attachments Pictures came out in the wrong order First picture is the dry spray, fourth finished job, third wet and dry, second compound.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Love the pictures Bish. I've not tried cutting back a paint job with such an abrasive mix but the result looks good.
My painter takes to his cutting compound very freely on the 2 pot surface and the result is usually perfection.
Mike
Thanks given by:
It looks so good, you will have to do the rest of the car now!
Thanks given by:
(20/09/2017, 09:07 PM)Clive Wrote: It looks so good, you will have to do the rest of the car now!

The rest of the car is as good, if it aint broke etc

Les
Thanks given by:
(20/09/2017, 08:20 PM)Mike Swanton Wrote: Love the pictures Bish. I've not tried cutting back a paint job with such an abrasive mix but the result looks good.
My painter takes to his cutting compound very freely on the 2 pot surface and the result is usually perfection.
Mike

Hi Mike,
      I bet you're enjoying an early Spring, interesting that you have good results on 2 pack as my son is hounding me to repair a blemish on the bonnet of his bargain £500 mr2 mk3 year 2000 Toyota as the paint is only microns thick but a bit apprehensive on do it.
Les
Thanks given by:
Hi Les,
You're right with the thinness of modern car paints and the problems of cutting them back. I have the same problem with my modern; the paint layer is almost non existent.
I'm not sure you can call this an early Spring. It has rained so much that we have already had much more than our annual rain fall; and there is lots of rain to come. Some trees are dying from wet feet. And temperature wise we are not warm. It may never snow here but we had another hail storm yesterday and the air temperature is still cool. I admit that the Spring blossom is wonderful, lambs bouncing around and the grass growing like nothing else whilst I can't get my mower on the sodden ground. More time to enjoy another car trip yesterday!
Mike
Thanks given by:
(21/09/2017, 08:11 PM)Mike Swanton Wrote: Hi Les,
You're right with the thinness of modern car paints and the problems of cutting them back. I have the same problem with my modern; the paint layer is almost non existent.
I'm not sure you can call this an early Spring. It has rained so much that we have already had much more than our annual rain fall; and there is lots of rain to come. Some trees are dying from wet feet. And temperature wise we are not warm. It may never snow here but we had another hail storm yesterday and the air temperature is still cool. I admit that the Spring blossom is wonderful, lambs bouncing around and the grass growing like nothing else whilst I can't get my mower on the sodden ground. More time to enjoy another car trip yesterday!
Mike

Sorry to read that Mike, according to Waimarama friends on facebook and pictures of Bare island off the coast that they posted up, shows the glorious weather! Forecast is dry and sunny tomorrow for us, so will be out and about with our car also.
Les
Thanks given by: