light six ASX cylinder head gasket
Hello all. 
I have owned WN6124 a 1933 light six ASX for about 5 years now. I recently had a cylinder head gasket fail on the car and and I was wondering if anyone could suggest where to source a new one. Also does anyone know what the cylinder head bolt torque settings should be and the order of bolt tightening. I did read suggested settings in the forum which did not appear to be model specific of around 55 for a 7/16 bolt. I do have a spare gasket but the bonding between the sandwich material and the copper has come apart in a couple of places. Is it at all possible to repair this and go ahead and use the gasket if sourcing another turns out to be is difficult.
Thanking in anticipation.

Tim
Thanks given by:
Hi Tim,
I'm not in the UK so I can't answer your enquiry but I gave up on the old copper / asbestos head gaskets long ago. They are brittle, as you describe, they often don't fit well and they fail. It isn't difficult to take in a head and have a head gasket made to fit, fit properly, and made out of a modern material that is far more robust. At the same time it pays to have the head "shaved" to make it perfectly flat and ensure the head gasket doesn't later fail.
Mike
Thanks given by:
Hi Tim.

Head stud torque is 60-70 lb ft.  Tightening sequence is start at the middle and work your way to each end evenly. Ive had great success using old copper gaskets on my old vehicles with methods shown to me by old time mechanic friends. These include to gently rough up the sealing rings on second use gaskets with approx 80 grit sand paper (circling around the rings) this picks up the copper giving something to compress, and then use a sealer. Twenty plus years ago I was using oil based silver paint, the aluminium at the bottom of the tin and painted this on both sides of the head gasket and it works very well. My 1930 Chrysler head is still sealed down with this after many years. More recently Ive used a product recommend to me and have found it to be very good also. This is VHT copper high temperature gasket sealant. It is an aerosol, and could be used between the surfaces of your gasket where it has delaminated as well as the outer surfaces. If you have any asbestos loss which is sometimes the case with old slightly damaged copper gaskets, you can rob some out of another gasket and make a stiff paste by adding some water and repack the missing area. Also I re-torque twice, and check head and block deck for flat and straight with an engineers straight edge beforehand. I hope this is of some help.

Regards, Kim.
Thanks given by:
Thanks ever so much guys. I had the head redone including skimming not long ago and the car has only done about 200 miles since then so I hope the issue will be with the gasket. I will go ahead and try and use the cylinder head gasket I have already. If that is unsuccessful I will see about obtaining a new gasket. Perhaps Mike you could point me, and others for future reference, in the direction of someone who offers this service. Kind regards and thanks again to you both.
Tim
Thanks given by: