Disaster?
(11/07/2017, 06:42 PM)bill94d Wrote: Opportunity in every difficulty. OK? Cant get that plug out without the donk out of the car. Watch this space.

Are you an ex Ozy that has been repatriated after sentence completed??

I thought 'Donk' was a character in the Crocodile Dundee film.
Regards.
Chas.

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. A optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
Thanks given by:
He's an endearing Donk in Crocodile Dundee.
Thanks given by:
Sorry to see you have a new problem Bill chin up you're not the only one, my son and I have difficulty in bleeding the brakes after I renewed the front wheel cylinders, we pumped through two litres of brake fluid through all the brake lines and not an inkling of any brake pressure, I now suspect maybe the master cylinder is a bit weak and the seals could do with replacing or an air lock in the brake line that loops over the back axle. Have decided to take a couple of days off, I hate brakes!!
Les
Thanks given by:
(11/07/2017, 09:42 PM)Bish Wrote: Sorry to see you have a new problem Bill chin up you're not the only one, my son and I have difficulty in bleeding the brakes after I renewed the front wheel cylinders, we pumped through two litres of brake fluid through all the brake lines and not an inkling of any brake pressure, I now suspect  maybe the master cylinder is a bit weak and the seals could do with replacing or an air lock in the brake line that loops over the back axle. Have decided to take a couple of days off, I hate brakes!!
Les
Hi Bish,
Had the same trouble with a Wolseley of a similar age. It seemed that when I pressed the brake pedal a full stroke to pump the air out after fitting new flexibles, it nicked the seal on a ridge that had formed on the cylinder wall. This ridge had formed because the brake pedal had been travelling the same short distance for years. When the brake pedal was returned after pumping out the fluid, it sucked in air as well as fresh fluid.
Replaced the seals and had a hard pedal after two pumps.
My wife asked if there were any seals for me, as I hadn't had a hard pedal for years!

Clive.
Thanks given by:
(11/07/2017, 09:42 PM)Bish Wrote: Sorry to see you have a new problem Bill chin up you're not the only one, my son and I have difficulty in bleeding the brakes after I renewed the front wheel cylinders, we pumped through two litres of brake fluid through all the brake lines and not an inkling of any brake pressure, I now suspect  maybe the master cylinder is a bit weak and the seals could do with replacing or an air lock in the brake line that loops over the back axle. Have decided to take a couple of days off, I hate brakes!!
Les

Gents,

Surely that is what a forum like this is for? Admit mistakes so that others of the fraternity may be spared the ignominy and expense, even add a bit of humour where appropriate. I also belong to the A35 club and with their greater numbers it is very active but in the same vein. So the little Austin will go to France in September instead of the Velox, much to my wife's displeasure. I will get this engine (donk in RAF parlance) out and it will go back in better fettle than it was removed. I would strongly suspect Bish's master cylinder if you cant get any brake pressure at all. Get a re-sleeved one and use silicone brake fluid and you are all set.
Thanks given by:
(12/07/2017, 08:12 AM)bill94d Wrote:
Les

Gents,

Surely that is what a forum like this is for? Admit mistakes so that others of the fraternity may be spared the ignominy and expense, even add a bit of humour where appropriate. I also belong to the A35 club and with their greater numbers it is very active but in the same vein. So the little Austin will go to France in September instead of the Velox, much to my wife's displeasure. I will get this engine (donk in RAF parlance) out and it will go back in better fettle than it was removed. I would strongly suspect Bish's master cylinder if you cant get any brake pressure at all. Get a re-sleeved one and use silicone brake fluid and you are all set.
I would add caution concerning silicon brake fluid, as it has been known for pattern seals - wheel cylinders and the like - to be made from silicon. Not a good combination!
Clive.
Thanks given by:
If the seals are compatible, then you do not need to worry about water absorption with silicone, but point taken.
Thanks given by:
(12/07/2017, 09:07 AM)bill94d Wrote: If the seals are compatible, then you do not need to worry about water absorption with silicone, but point taken.

If you are completely rebuilding a braking system from new, you might consider DOT5.1 silicone fluid which track cars tend to use because of the higher boiling point of DOT5.1 but rather pointless on classic cars.
Thanks given by:
(12/07/2017, 08:06 AM)Clive Wrote:
Les
Hi Bish,
Had the same trouble with a Wolseley of a similar age. It seemed that when I pressed the brake pedal a full stroke to pump the air out after fitting new flexibles, it nicked the seal on a ridge that had formed on the cylinder wall. This ridge had formed because the brake pedal had been travelling the same short distance for years. When the brake pedal was returned after pumping out the fluid, it sucked in air as well as fresh fluid.
Replaced the seals and had a hard pedal after two pumps.
My wife asked if there were any seals for me, as I hadn't had a hard pedal for years!
Yes Clive I think you're right, I should have put a piece of wood under the pedal to avoid this problem. I have just received a new set of seals to refurbish the mc, not a bad thing to do considering the dashboard looks a little hard.
Les
Thanks given by:
Nice one Clive!
Thanks given by: