1937 GY returned to the road

.pdf   Vanessa photos.pdf (Size: 107.83 KB / Downloads: 21)

In 2007 I was looking around for an Art Deco Vauxhall to serve me as a wedding car for my younger son. He was planning 2 years ahead and scheduled his wedding to take place here in Auckland. He and his wife wanted wedding cars and my wife is particularly keen on Art Deco styles. I had a friend down country who had “sat” on a 1937 GY Vauxhall for years and it was in pieces; a sad sight. BUT it had that lovely dash and the twin inside lights that the Art Deco GY model boasts. Indeed it is the epitome of an Art Deco car (although it doesn’t have the ideal squarish lines of say a Triumph Mayflower or Gloria.)
I bought the car with my friend’s agreement that he would restore the car for me in the intervening two years. Well, like so many dreamers he just didn’t get around to it. “Round Twoits” are hard to find! My son’s wedding came and went (the wedding cars were a 1930 20/60, 1934 ASX and a 1951 LIP) and my friend’s health then started to go downhill. I uplifted the project from him 3 years ago and restarted the restoration from scratch as I wasn’t happy with the work done.
Fortunately I had the parts and help to get the car restored and today, 21 June 2017 (too late for the wedding!) Vanessa has passed through our New Zealand registration and safety checks and is now a road legal car. At the same time my son is completing his fellowship studies in England and will shortly return home with his wife and three school age children! I’m afraid my friend didn’t live to see Vanessa restored.
Vanessa was shipped out, CKD, to New Zealand on board the New Zealand Shipping Company’s Rangitata; the same vessel I travelled on for a holiday back to England in 1958. Vanessa was assembled at our New Zealand Petone plant and was delivered to its first owner on 6 May 1937. She was finished in a cream colour with brown trim and body stripe. Today she is reborn, as new, in cream with brown trim and body stripe ready to face another 80 years, sitting beside Valerie, my restored Australian bodied 1937 GY Vauxhall 25. Gorgeous. 
(I hope the photos come out properly)
Thanks given by:
(21/06/2017, 12:24 AM)Mike Swanton Wrote: In 2007 I was looking around for an Art Deco Vauxhall to serve me as a wedding car for my younger son. He was planning 2 years ahead and scheduled his wedding to take place here in Auckland. He and his wife wanted wedding cars and my wife is particularly keen on Art Deco styles. I had a friend down country who had “sat” on a 1937 GY Vauxhall for years and it was in pieces; a sad sight. BUT it had that lovely dash and the twin inside lights that the Art Deco GY model boasts. Indeed it is the epitome of an Art Deco car (although it doesn’t have the ideal squarish lines of say a Triumph Mayflower or Gloria.)
I bought the car with my friend’s agreement that he would restore the car for me in the intervening two years. Well, like so many dreamers he just didn’t get around to it. “Round Twoits” are hard to find! My son’s wedding came and went (the wedding cars were a 1930 20/60, 1934 ASX and a 1951 LIP) and my friend’s health then started to go downhill. I uplifted the project from him 3 years ago and restarted the restoration from scratch as I wasn’t happy with the work done.
Fortunately I had the parts and help to get the car restored and today, 21 June 2017 (too late for the wedding!) Vanessa has passed through our New Zealand registration and safety checks and is now a road legal car. At the same time my son is completing his fellowship studies in England and will shortly return home with his wife and three school age children! I’m afraid my friend didn’t live to see Vanessa restored.
Vanessa was shipped out, CKD, to New Zealand on board the New Zealand Shipping Company’s Rangitata; the same vessel I travelled on for a holiday back to England in 1958. Vanessa was assembled at our New Zealand Petone plant and was delivered to its first owner on 6 May 1937. She was finished in a cream colour with brown trim and body stripe. Today she is reborn, as new, in cream with brown trim and body stripe ready to face another 80 years, sitting beside Valerie, my restored Australian bodied 1937 GY Vauxhall 25. Gorgeous. 
(I hope the photos come out properly)

Your GY looks superb Mike, the cream colour is similar to my L, cream seems to suit Vauxhalls and the pics have turned out fine.
Les
Thanks given by: Mike Swanton